Thursday, March 8, 2007

Homemade Pizza

I often make pizza when I don't feel like doing a lot, or when I am totally out of ideas. I always keep a bag of pepperoni in my fridge so I can make it anytime. I also always make the dough from scratch because I'm cheap and don't plan ahead sometimes to buy the Bobolli crust...but that works great too. I always serve with salad. Lark
Quick Pizza Dough
2 C. flour
1 Tbsp. quick rising yeast
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. sugar or honey
¾ C water (hottest water from tap works)
Combine everything except water. Then add hot water (if mixture is too dry you can add 1 or 2 Tbsp. more hot water)
Knead until dough forms a ball.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured bowl (or leave in your Kitchenaid as is - no need to dirty another bowl!) Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
On floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out your pizza – about 12” in diameter and ½” thick.
Transfer dough to a floured cooking surface and poke with a fork in a few places.
Bake at 425* for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Then add sauce, cheese and favorite toppings and cook again until cheese is melted.
For sauce, I use a jar of spagetti sauce or a can of tomato sauce with Italian seasonings, fresh garlic and sometimes canned diced tomatoes.
Then add your favorite toppings:
1. Pepperoni w/ olives: either slices of pepperoni or a stick, chopped up in your food processor.
2. Canadian bacon and pineapple: I use ham lunch meat, cut up and canned pineapple chunks and slivered almonds.
3. BBQ Chicken pizza (one of our favorites!): Sprinkle crust with colby jack cheese, then BBQ sauce (1/2 bottle or more), then cubed, marinated BBQ chicken, then red onion slices and finally more cheese. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes or so. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh, chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

Paige said...

I have tried to keep pepperoni in my fridge so I can do easy pizza night but it disappears too quickly. Thanks for the quick dough recipe.