Friday, March 23, 2007

Sweet and Sour Pork or Chicken

This recipe is from a lady in my ward who is actually from China so maybe it has more authenticity than my previous "chinese chicken" post. It is quick and easy to make. It calls for red and green peppers which I have used but I have also substituted carrots for the peppers because my kids are more willing to eat carrots (that and right now I just can't eat peppers).
You just have to add the carrots at the beginning with the meat instead of at the end. Paige

1 can (16-0z) pineapple chunks in syrup (don't drain)
1 Tbs. cider vinegar
2 Tbs ketchup
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 lb. boneless pork or chicken cut into bite-size cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 green and red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water

1. Heat 1 Tbs oil, stir in pork/chicken and onion, cook for about 10 minutes, until meat is cooked and onion is tender.
2. Add pineapple with syrup, vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce, cook for 10 minutes more.
3. Add cornstarch and stir to make sure the juice thickens.
4. Add the pepper, stir till pepper is coated and warm. Serve over rice.

No comments: